Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Hummus


·  2 cups of canned garbanzo beans/chick peas OR 1 cup of dried beans/peas.
·  1 1/2 T Olive Oil
·  1 1/2 T Tahini (sesame seed paste) If you don't want/have/use tahini, just use oil or water in stead.
·  1 jumbo garlic clove (or small if you're a hater of garlic. I used a jumbo one in the batch I brought)
·  1/4 t salt
·  1/4 cumin
·  3 T fresh lemon juice (or bottle...whatever you have)

I soak my dried beans over night and then cook them on the stove top on medium low heat for an hour or until you can mash them easily between your fingers.
In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients. Then taste it. If it's bland, add a dash more salt. If it's too thick, add water or oil until it reaches the texture/smoothness you like. I like mine SMOOTH! OR add more  lemon juice if you like it to have a kick. I always double this recipe becausehummus freezes well and well, I love this stuff!
If you're feeling crazy and want variation try adding some cilantro or roasted red peppers, etc. We use hummus on our sandwiches/wraps/as a dip for veggies and pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment